Friday 24 June 2011

How much is too much?

I have often been asked how do I get into a line of business such as yours? I don't know what your line of business is, so I can't really answer that, but I assume they might mean (these people that I dream about) that what you mean is: How do you get into cartoons?


Cartoonists can charge anything they want to charge a customer. It's not like fridges. There is no Government price controls. Some charge £10 per cartoon (but they aren't very good if they are charging that much). and some charge £20 (these are usually better cartoonists). and sometimes as much as £2,000! It all depends how you want to use the cartoon. For instance, in my instance I would charge someone more money if they wanted to hang my cartoon in their through lounge, and I would charge less money if they just wanted to hang it in their downstairs lav. If they wanted a bespoke service, such as a limited run of tea-towels printing with a cartoon design of their favorite tortoise, or a much loved child for instance thus far and such like.




Hilarious Child/Tortoise Cartoon by Leonard Gubbins Design Studio Limited.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating insights, Lenorda. But if I may, one word of caution when trying to ascertain from your client their intended use of your artworks, asking them "How's it hanging?" may not be the best approach. Other than that, this is a masterclass in client/pro communictations, and surely you're well on your way to an MBE.

    ReplyDelete